Thursday, April 7, 2011

Interesting Ephemera

You never know what you'll find when you go through old family papers.

I finally got around to organizing some of my dad's papers that my mom had been holding onto since just after World War II (!). Among other interesting ephemera were these two calendar pages, created by Varga, pressed neatly between my dad's discharge papers.

Oh yes, these paintings have been reproduced all over the net and in books, but these particular pages haven't seen the light of day for some 65 years. They are maybe my favorite Varga pin-ups, partly because of their sweet and innocent sexiness, and partly because my dad chose to save them even though the war and its aftermath kept him plenty busy.



4 comments:

N. and M. Ziegfeld said...

These are very lovely...I've never seen that redhead before, despite having been a longtime Vargas fan...thank you so much for sharing these, as well as the story behind them!

Will o'the Glen said...

The story behind these lovely pieces of artwork makes them even more special. Thanks for sharing these images, and their story, with your fans!

Thomas Haller Buchanan said...

Thanks you guys.

Annie said...

They are sweet, and more innocent than even sensual. Thank you for sharing your story about finding them.