Friday, March 13, 2009

My Favorite Mystery In Space Cover

And why wouldn't it be? It's a dynamic composition, bold and bright, and makes you want to know, 'what's going on here?', as you pluck it off the comics spinner, as I did way back in 1964. Carmine Infantino and Murphy Anderson helped usher in the best of the silver age (of course along with Joe Kubert, Curt Swan and others) and this comic, along with Justice League of America and some of the Batman comics were the brightest beacons for me. 


Carmine Infantino & Murphy Anderson—Mystery in Space #90, March 1964

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I was a child, Infantino did a two-page illustrated article, “How I Draw the Flash”, which did an awful lot to point me in the right direction for drawing the human figure.

As to Anderson, I greatly enjoyed his work for DC, both as a competent penciller and as someone whose remarkable inking beneficially tightened-up the work of other pencillers.

Thomas Haller Buchanan said...

That two-page spread by Infantino was a key factor for me as well!

It was in the first Flash 80-page giant annual, which had golden-age Star Sapphire on the cover. Seeing how he built the figure as well as the speed lines was magical. I can still see the image of that spread in my mind's eye, even though I haven't looked at it in over 20 years. I was a fool to ever let that comic go.

Anderson's work on the golden age comebacks of Black Canary and Starman and Solomon Grundy and etc in the Brave and the Bold was a high point of the silver age as well. I have wonderful memories of buying those off the spinner.